Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Hockey Mom Prayer

Fall has not quite officially started but hockey season for The Boy already has. Opening game of the season is tonight and as I prepare for the onslaught of games, practices, tournaments, traffic, bad coffee, stressed parents, dinner in the van and other crazy that is the hockey parent/child life, I wrote a little prayer to get me (and any other hockey mom's and dad's!) through the next eight months.

My Hockey Mom Prayer

May I find the best route to the hockey arena in rush hour traffic. May there not be any road closures, beginner drivers or other stressed out hockey parents in my path.

May The Boy have remembered all his equipment. May I hold my incredulous yell of frustration back when we're running late and he tells me that he MIGHT have left his hockey gloves on the floor back home.

May I find the grace not to scream at an opposing player who has just elbowed my son in the head.

May I find a spot in the arena that is actually under a working heater.

May I not get sick of Tim Horton's coffee, bagels, sandwiches and Timbits in the next eight months.

May I try, for once, to just enjoy the game and not get stressed out and embarrass my son by screaming in the third period "Jesus, Mary and Joseph! SKATE!!!!!!!"

May I have the right words to comfort and encourage him when he has a bad game and the exuberance to celebrate with him when he has a good one.

May I remember that he loves this freezing, time-consuming, money-sucking sport and that he is a thing of beauty when he skates.

And, most of all, may I remember that his childhood is passing all too quickly and that, one day, I will actually miss the all the time we spent in the van hustling back and forth between arenas. One day I will wish for that time back so let me hold it in my memory as long as I can because it is flying away from me, faster than my son on hockey skates.

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful prayer, especially for holding on to all the memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I put it to good use in tonight's game opener. :)

      Delete
  2. So you're the Real Hockey Mom... I wondered about those. :)

    Lovely wishes for you and Hockey Kid both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mirka! Yes, the real deal - and NOT a pit bull with lipstick. :)

      Delete
  3. Love this! Made me cry since my 93 goalie played his last youth hockey game last season. And my 98 Bantaam played his 3rd preseason game today. It goes by so fast. It is crazy, but I would not trade our crazy hockey life for anything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! I totally understand. I never thought I 'd feel that way but I will actually miss the hockey life when it's over (but ask me this in March when we're burnt out and I might say something different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this! I saw your poem posted at our local sports store while waiting for my son's skates to be sharpened. I relate to all of this, and appreciate the last paragraph especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serendipity! Wow, it was posted in a hockey store? How cool! Let me know which one! And I hope your son has a great season!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. I have two rep hockey players - Tyke and Minor Atom. I know you know what that means. I need this prayer very often. Thank you for writing it!! I keep it also keep it pinned up at my desk at work. Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne! I'm so glad the poem resonated with you. And TWO boys in rep hockey?? I bow to you in solemn acknowledgement of your dedication and exhaustion. I hope your season was a good one. Ours ended in the semi-finals last week. Enjoy this time as it is fleeting! :)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful prayer, especially for holding on to all the memories...

    Ice Skates & Roller blades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mark! The hockey time is definitely flying by so hold those memories tight! :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    basketball fails in nba & basketball slam dunks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Articles or blog posts along with information on this a part of it are really amazing.

    Buy Warm-Up Bat For Baseball & Best Youth Baseball Hitting Drills

    ReplyDelete