Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Busy Mom + YA Writer = Bad Blogger

I made a commitment to myself when I started this blog to write at least two blog entries a week. Preferably Tuesdays and Thursdays because weekends are a total write off in terms of time spent in front of a computer. Not only do my kids need the new boob tube for homework, research and connecting with friends so I don't have the slimmest chance of spending more than fifteen minutes in front of it, I'm also too busy catching up on housework - and now garden work - as well as running kids around to various sports and socializing events and working on my wip and, now, on revisions to Illegally Blonde, to think about the blog. I'm still fairly new to the blogging world so it's not like anybody is waiting with bated breath for my next blog entry or anything but I know if I start to slack off early in the game I'll develop the bad habit of letting it slide, feeling guilty about it and then avoiding it because I'm feeling guilty about it and the whole frickin' thing goes down in flames.

So, in the spirit of not wanting to feel guilty about yet another thing in my life, I'm blogging (a day late) about what a busy mom (namely me) has spent most of her last five days doing. Ready for this?

Helping my son build a medieval castle.

Yup. Epic stuff baby. And let me tell you I never want to see another cereal box, hot glue gun or silver spray paint can in my life again. Ever.

The Boy did a great job but I was the one who had to keep nagging him to work on it every day for a week. I had to drive to get more spray paint and glue when it ran out. I (and daughter 2) wielded the glue gun when the Boy burned himself on it and didn't want to touch the thing again. He cut out the cardboard, built the drawbridge and pulley system (which actually worked!) and painted the moat and buildings. He did a great job. But we were both pretty wiped by the end of it. Okay, so it's not like we were actually back in 1260 A.D. hauling stones up a hill or anything. But by the time I'd burnt my tenth finger I felt like I'd suffered just as much as any serf.

But the Boy was a trooper (or maybe a Knight?). Not only did he build an awesome castle he finished by competing in his first track and field event yesterday and coming in 2nd in the 800m. Whoo hoo! He advances to the next meet and if he places in the top four there he goes on to City finals. He's pumped and nervous and excited and worried all at once. But I told him, "Hon, if you can build an entire castle in a week, you can win a simple little race!"

Sigh. Being a busy mom is way more exhausting than writing sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment