Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Latest Obsession

While I continue to tinker with various writing projects, I must admit it is with only half a heart at present. The largest part of my life right now is dealing with the massive amounts of time and decision-making that must go into finalizing our home reno. We are in the last leg of the race. Not that we are anywhere close to moving in - I'd say another two - three months at least. But now is the time when all the decisions on colours and finishes are made as well as furniture shopping. I tell you, I would have gone mad right about now if it hadn't been for my discovery of this fabulous website: www.houzz.com

Oh, my God. I LOVE this site.

You can search by style (traditional, contemporary, eclectic, etc.) and any type of room from kitchen to entranceway. You can specify you want a search done on "mirror over fireplace" or something and literally hundreds if not thousands of pictures in that theme, style, particular search will come up. If you have a specific question on what paint colour or where a piece of furniture was purchased, you can leave a question and a designer will come back and give you the answer. If you're anything like me, you might have a vague idea of the kind of style you might want to have in your space but nothing concrete. With this site, you can create your own ideabooks and start collecting the pictures that will help you to finalize the look you want in your own space. Who knew I would gravitate towards gray walls with white trim? Who knew that I would decide on going with dark kitchen cabinets rather than the more common white? After collecting hundreds of pictures, I kept seeing the same themes/styles emerge. That was so helpful.

It also doesn't hurt when your husband looks at you funny when you say you want a room done a certain way and he scoffs. But when you email him what the room could look like as a finished space (no need to have him sit down with you and flip through home decorating magazines) it makes life so much easier!

Anyway, sorry for this non-writing related post but if you're about to embark on a home reno I have two pieces of advice:
1. Move and buy a house that's already finished.
2. If you still insist on renovating, then go to houzz.com. You'll thank me later.

5 comments:

  1. I have a friend who would LOVE this website. Will definitely pass it along. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nelsa Decorates!
    Please consider posting the 'before' and 'after' pictures. Can't have enough of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna: Let me know if your friend becomes as addicted to the site as I have! :)

    Hi Mirka: Egads. Not sure I want the before pictures put up on the internet so all the world could see what a disaster the old house looked like. But the reno? Well, let's wait and see how it turns out, 'kay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love that site... thanks for letting me know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous: You are most welcome! Please don't blame me if you become addicted to it. :)

    ReplyDelete