Friday, January 1, 2010

Well Hello 2010! Will We Be a Good Match?

I've been waiting a long time to see you, New Year. Pull up a chair. Let's chat a bit before we begin our new shiny 365 days together, shall we?

Oh, I know I've put a lot of pressure on you even before you showed up on my door. I mean a year that promises me the publication of my first book in April has a lot of hopes and wishes already on its shoulders. So what more can I expect from you? Really, the fact that you showed up at all is enough. I shouldn't ask you for more.

But just in case you want to really hang out with me, really get to know me and not just be a flashy one-time Charlie who wines and dines me in the spring then moves on leaving me waiting by the phone for the next eight months, let me tell you what I'm all about and what I'm looking for in an awesome 2010. Here, have a glass of wine and put your feet up. We have time.

I know you're still young and have too much energy but I admire patience in a Year. Hopefully, you'll be able to offer that as I write my next novel. I love the splashy events you have planned (book publication, book launch etc.) but I also love the not so glamorous companionship that a good Year gives me - the time spent just writing quietly and revelling in a good story hopefully well told. Can you give me that patience and time?

I also like to learn something from a good Year. What can you teach me that will help me grow and become a better person?

Will you be a Year that runs roughshod over my emotions only giving me drama and stress or will you make life fun, exciting and carefree?

In essence, 2010, what kind of Year will you be for me? We'll be taking this journey together - I'm investing a lot of hope and time in you and I hope - I really, really hope - that when our time is up (and we know that we will only have this one year together)that I can look back on our time and say: "That was one of the best Years of my life. I'll never forget it."

Oh, you've finished your wine? You're ready to start our adventure together too? I'm so glad I haven't scared you off with my expectations. Okay. I'm ready. Let's go for it!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your upcoming book! Sounds like 2010 will be a great year! Love the picture of Hudson too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nan! I sure hope 2010 will be great! And, not to be a gushing Mama or anything, but Hudson is even handsomer in person!

    ReplyDelete